End of the anti-crisis Act


As the anti-crisis package comes to an end, the fate of workers employed on futures contracts and employers’ planned moves are put in question.

Many companies have used the solutions of Act on mitigating the effects of the economic crisis. The changes included the following: hiring employees - the rule that the third contract term is transformed into a perpetual agreement was suspended. According to the anti-crisis package, by the end of 2011, the period of employment under a contract of employment for a specified period, and the total period of employment on the basis of successive fixed-term employment may not exceed 24 months. At the same time, another contract term is a contract made before the expiry of three months from the termination or expiration of the previous contract term. This means that entrepreneurs, from 22 August 2009, could employ workers under fixed-term contracts for no more than two years. After this time, employees may request a permanent contract. What do the employers think about that?

- We have observed that companies benefiting from the anti-crisis package (50 per cent is the automotive industry) did not renew contracts for an indefinite period with about 20 - 30 percent of workers. It's not about cutting costs - companies want to protect against the deterioration of the financial result in the event of decline in orders. At the same time they still want to employ experienced professionals familiar with the specificity of the job and the structure of the company. So instead of deciding on a reduction plan, they will employ through temporary work agencies - under the same conditions, for the same salary, but on a temporary contract. This allows the employer to benefit from the skills of employees, and on the other hand it will allow them to keep control over costs while maintaining flexibility - says Grażyna Chmielowska, Sales & Operational Director at Adecco Poland.

For people employed in accordance with the anti-crisis act it means only one thing – continuation of work.
- Moreover, in the event of termination of cooperation with the former employer they increase their chances to find another one. As an agency we have enough time to evaluate their work and recommend them to the next employers - adds Grażyna Chmielowska.

Temporary like Permanent?

Many companies have started to treat outsourcing as a solution, which protect against fluctuations.
- More and more companies introduce such structure of employment, on the basis of which an average of 80 percent are regular workers, and the remaining 20 percent provides a flexible employment - says Anna Wicha, Country Manager of Adecco Poland.

Last year, the over 11.5 thousand employees benefited from outsourcing. It's 10 percent more in comparison to a difficult year 2009. All shows that this market will grow by 15-20 percent.

- Companies turn to flexible forms of employment when they see the increase in orders, but are not sure whether these orders will be stable in the long run. Experience and observation of the market prove that along with improved economic situation many temporary jobs turn into permanent ones. More than 20 percent of temporary workers is then fixed to the same employer - says Anna Wicha.